From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of Josh Muckley via
CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 10:57 AM
To: C&C List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Yanmar SB8 shut off

I am very familiar with the gm/hm/ym/qm series engines... Not so much with the
SB8 series.

That being said, whatever actuation method is employed, it is best for the fuel
to be shut off to kill the engine.  If there is a fuel solenoid - fine.  If
there is a throttle actuator that goes below idle - fine.  Ultimately you want
the engine to be starved of diesel fuel.  What you don't want is to regularly
kill the engine by obstructing the air or eliminating the compression.  These
methods allow fuel to collect and linger on the cylinders after shutdown.

Check your engine to see what is being activated to shut it down.  If it is
fuel related then you're probably fine leaving it as is.

Josh Muckley

S/V Sea Hawk

1989 C&C 37+

Solomons, MD