Chuck,

I’d always recommend spraying paint as opposed to rolling-and-tip but your
reasons for doing the latter are quite sound. So, no recommendation to lightly
sand, cover, tape and spray.

I do have a strong opinion about the non-skid which you probably don’t really
care about. I don’t care for Kiwi-Grip for the same reasons that Mike alluded
to, primarily aggressiveness. There are other types of grip, one that uses
little rubbery pellets and so forth. I’ve researched them a bit.

After doing my decks, I would not use anything other that AwlGrip’s Grip Tex.
When completed it matched the original C&C non-skid to within 97%. Looks and
feels like factory. At least I think so ‘cause my decks were “skid” rather than
“n on-skid" when we bought the boat… ;-)

Very simple to apply.

1.      Lightly sand off what's left of the original non-skid, clean and tape
nearby gloss.
2.      Prep surface per your paint’s instructions (don’t need an
AwlCraft/AwlGrip product)) with a small foam roller.
3.      Have a mixture of 50/50 Grip Tex coarse grit and fine grit in a plastic
container (I used one of those clear plastic olive containers with a lid that
you find at Whole Food or Wegmans) with some holes punched in the top.
4.      “Salt” the freshly painted surface. Don’t worry about making it 100%
even in distribution on the first pass. Just let it fly.
5.      Come back after 20-30 minutes and roll another coat of paint over the
area to lock in the Grip Tex.
6.      Repeat Step 4. for areas that might be a bit thin. You’ll be able to
tell easily.
7.      Repeat Step 5.

That’s it. When done it will appear even, not look or feel aggressive and it
will be quite non-kiddy…

Regards,
Dave Godwin
1982 C&C 37 - Ronin