I was on the pier couple weeks ago when a neighbor boat owner told me he
was coming in off the lake and couldn't get full rpm on his diesel.  He
asked if I thought it could be the fuel filter being blinded.  I said yes
and asked when was the last time he changed the element.  His reply?  35
years!

I  asked if he knew where it was.  :)  He did.  It was an old Perko 209.
Google it for a picture.

We couldn't remove the screw on top with it in the boat.  The entire unit
twisted and it started coming off the bulkhead.  We removed the unit to the
dock and used a large wrenches to take it apart.  Inside was a ceramic
permanent element.  I was unbelievably plugged up.  About 1/8 inch of crud
all around it.  I told him to go get a can of carburetor cleaner  and clean
it.  Took him a few applications of the cleaner but it cleaned up.
Reinstalled it and diesel runs fine.

On the other hand, I had to change the fuel filter element on Touche' this
weekend on the way to Pensacola.  I have vacuum gauge on it.  It started
easing into the red.  There was only 100 hours on it.  The previous element
lasted over 400 hours.  Very strange.  I had just removed the fuel tank
couple months ago and the fuel looked very clean.

You just don't know.  A batch of bad fuel perhaps?

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA