Hi Edd,
    The battery voltage is only an indication of the state of charge of a
lead-acid battery when the battery has been without load (or charge) for
several hours.  Otherwise, the voltage is pretty much meaningless.  Many
devices measure the state of charge by noting the difference between the
number of amp-hours drawn and the number of amp-hours charged into the
battery.  It is a more accurate indication of the state of charge but has
it's limitations as well.  Any inaccuracy in measuring the current into or
out of the battery will accumulate over time requiring the device to be
"re-synchronized".

Gary
S/V Kaylarah
'90 C&C 37+