Edd,

As I recall you are still on a mooring right?  You're using the motor and
solar to keep the batteries "charged"?  If so then it is unlikely that you
are ever really getting all the way 100% charged.

As others have mentioned the only good way to use voltage as a measure of
the state of charge is by reading the NO LOAD (and No CHARGE) voltage.
Seems simple enough.... But it's not.  There is also a  effect known as
surface charge.  This is the residual voltage that is greater than 12.7v
read after applying a charge.  Immediately after charge you'll see 14.7v
and slowly dropping over 24 hours until it stabilizes at 12.7v.  The
surface charge can  represent ~1% of battery capacity.  To remove the
surface charge you need to apply a relatively small load.  In your case
4.5A-hrs....so 4.5 amps for 1 hour...or just let the battery sit
disconnected for ~24 hours.  With the surface charge removed the volts
should read 12.7v and every 0.1v below 12.7v is roughly equal to 10%
capacity.

So during charge there are 3 different stages of charge (bulk, acceptance,
float).  You'll see volts climb steadily through the first stage finally
stopping at ~14.7v.  At the end of the first stage a lay person might
casually look at the battery voltage, see 14.7v, and think that the battery
is fully charged.  The reality is that it is only about 80% charged.  Most
battery monitors like your blue sea are kinda dumb.  At best they measure
A-Hr in VS A-Hr out.  Some reset to 100% charged when 14.7v is reached.
Some keep accumulating A-Hrs from a pseudo-float while actually still in
the acceptance (2nd stage).  Some can be reset to 100% manually.  Some need
to be reset.  I say pseudo-float since charge sources like solar can be
sized insufficiently to actually change the chemical state of charge to get
the batteries out of the 2nd stage and sometimes not even out of the 1st
stage.  So while a charge current IS being applied (and
measured/accumulated by the battery monitor) the state of ACTUAL state of
charge is not actually changing.  I believe this is probably what is
happening in your case.

Summary of stages of charge:
1st = BULK = constant current and charger max current with steadily
climbing voltage up to ~14.7v
2nd = ACCEPTANCE = constant voltage at ~14.7v with current steadily
lowering from max to ~2 amps.
3rd = voltage maintained at ~13.6v.  If the current required to maintain
13.6v goes above ~2amps then the charger will switch back to stage 2 mode a
d you'll see volts jump up to ~14.7.

I know you asked for simple... Sorry.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk