I recently did some more mast tuning with my new/old Loos gauge and have one
addition to all the guides I read that I think worked very well.  The question
is how to tell when the mast tip is centered side to side.  In most guides you
use the main halyard and measure the point where it touches some reference
point on either side.  I found this difficult to reproduce on the two sides.
At the suggestion of a local sailor at my club, I got an inexpensive hanging
scale
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZWNGZFO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
 and looped the hook through my halyard shackle and used that to determine when
the mast was centered.  I would pull it down until it touched the chainplate
and note the weight and then repeat to the same point on the othe side. It
worked very well (and I was off a bit).   Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT