If the mast tip is off center with no tension on the standing rigging then
there is problem with the partners (the place where it penetrates the deck)
or a problem with the foot.  The extruded piece of aluminum we call the
mast should stand nearly perfectly straight and centered with no outside
forces.  Trying to force it centered with the standing rigging is not the
right answer.

I experience considerably better performance on port tack than on stbd
tack.  When the rigging was rebuilt on my boat the rigging shop sent back
symmetrical length side stays.  When the yard was installing them they had
a very difficult time getting the threads to engage on the stbd side.  This
suggests to me that the tip of the mast is leaning off towards the port
side requiring the stays to be longer on the stbd side.  To me this also
answers why the port tack is better.  The mast IS centered in the
partners.  I believe the only best way for me to fix this condition is to
move the foot of the mast to port.  The mast will pivot at the partners and
pull the tip to the stbd side.  This is an easy fix when pulling or setting
the mast but once the rigging is installed it makes shifting the shoe much
more difficult.  I picture releasing the tension on the rig and then using
a hammer to tap the shoe over.  It may even be as insignificant as 1/4 inch.

At that level of effort this is definitely being left on the back burner.
When the opportunity presents I'll take the time to fix it.  If I was
racing it would be a different story since port tacks are less favored.  If
one has to be better than the other then make it the stbd tack.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD