I had the same problem last year.  Obviously tide and current can affect that,
but one thing I discovered on my boat is the asymmetry of the genoa tracks.  My
genoa is very sensitive to car position/angle of genoa lead.  We used to use
the screw heads showing on the track to set the two cars and then measured and
discovered that the screws were not in the same position on both tracks.  I now
have a stick-on ruler gauge fixed to the side of the tracks to get the same
measured position on both sides.  If the mast were not straight up and down, I
would expect some sidedness to performance as well.  The slot will be more open
on one side than the other, but not sure how off it would have to be to notice
it.  That is why I went to the hanging gauge to more accurately measure center
position.  Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT