I'd suggest Peggy Hall's book on head odors.  Still in print, I think.  I
agree with previous comment that stagnant seawater used for flushing can
create an incredible foul odor.  Flush some fresh water through the head
into the tank. There is a simple test for condition of hoses.  Covered in
Peggy's book and in Don Casey's book.    I wouldn't start tearing things
out just yet.  But replacing existing hoses can't hurt.  Good luck.

Dave Castor
Port Angeles, WA

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 12:33 PM Shawn Wright via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Our 35-2 is similar, even with new hoses and a clean tank. Much of the
> smell is from organisms in salt water decomposing, as it occurs even when
> the holding tank is empty. I've been told that adding over sized venting
> for the holding tank will help, to reduce the anaerobic bacteria which is
> causing the smell due to lack of oxygen. This is on my list.
>
> I suggest flushing some water into your vent line(s) from the outside to
> ensure they are not plugged. In our case, the tank vent is tied into the
> anti-siphon (upside-down U) on the bowl flush line, so when flushing, some
> air is being drawn from the tank instead of outside, causing the smell. I
> plan to add a separate vent for the head flush line to prevent this.
> --
> Shawn Wright
> shawngwri...@gmail.com
> S/V Callisto, 1974 C&C 35
> https://www.facebook.com/SVCallisto
>

> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 11:59 AM Jeff Helsdingen via CnC-List <
> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
>> Even the good read expensive hose smells bad after a while. If yours is
>> still original it's probably due to be replaced. Possibly the tank as well.
>> I've heard it is better to use fresh water from the head faucet to flush
>> rather than sea water too. What we did to get rid of the smells was to yank
>> all of it out and go with a composting head. So far so good. Good luck.
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> On Wed., Oct. 2, 2019, 2:52 p.m. Blair Clark via CnC-List, <
>> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I beg patience as i am hoping there is some quick troubleshooting hints
>>> that can be provided.
>>>
>>> Purchased a 1990 C&C 34 +. really really happy with boat and currently
>>> working  through some smaller items to get her up to speed.
>>>
>>> one of these involves the holding tank. My jabsco manual toilet exits
>>> through a Y valve to sea or to  holding tank.  No external macerator system
>>> is in place.. Even when Y valve set to sea I am having a smell go away and
>>> then return to the head area.
>>>
>>> Holding tank was pumped before transport after purchase and appears
>>> close to empty.
>>>
>>> Steps to date:
>>>
>>> 1) Had a group out on the boat
>>> 2) next day head ines appeared blocked as there was back pressure on
>>> handle
>>> 3) removed lines got shop vacuum cleared lines and flushed with vinegar
>>> and water
>>> 4 thought everything would be good
>>> 5) Noticed smell in head
>>> 2) noticed back flow of liquid into bowl
>>> 3) again fought with stiff lines and replaced joker valve
>>> 3) back flow and  Smell went away
>>> 4) a few days later after not using boat the smell came back but not
>>> from toilet bowl