From: Della Barba, Joe via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Della Barba, Joe <joe.della.ba...@ssa.gov>
Sent: Wed, Nov 6, 2019 10:38 am
Subject: Re: Stus-List Latest / last season sail

It varies. Some years we are out pretty much every month of the year and some
years either the weather is awful or the boat is taken apart for winter
projects. We have done Thanksgiving cruises a few times, Christmas sails a few
times, New Years Day sails every now and then.
A lot hinges on how many times I feel like winterizing the engine vs. trusting
the cabin heat to stay on and a lot hinges on how many projects I want to do in
the off season vs. not doing them at all or taking up time when it is nicer
out. We are actually more likely to get decent days in January or February vs.
March and April. In Maryland we have this annoying thing I call "Instant
Summer" where all of March, all of April, and some of May are cold, windy, and
pouring rain. Then one day in May you go to sleep with the heat on and wake up
the next day and it is going to be 90 degrees!
* just remembered, one year it was cold enough for ice in the river and as soon
as the ice was passable we went to Rock Hall and the marina was so amazed
anyone showed up we got a free slip! One year over Thanksgiving, once again in
Rock Hall, Saturday was about 45 degrees and blowing hard with rain. We bundled
our infant son into the dinghy for the 200 yard ride across to Sailing Emporium
to get some hot cocoa and do some shopping. When we tied up they asked where we
were from and we said Kent Island. They looked at the dinghy, looked at the
baby, and insisted they would put the dinghy on a trailer and tow it back to
Kent Island with us in the truck. It took a second to realize they thought we
came ALL THE WAY in the dinghy, not just across the fairway!

Joe Della Barba      Coquina C&C 35  MK I
www.dellabarba.com