Yesterday, my Blue Sea DC switch failed in a bad way — essentially the
plastic broke and the guts of the switch come apart causing a flaky
connection.   Seems this is a common problem base on this forum:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/853223-blue-sea-battery-switch-failure.html

I emailed Blue Sea and await their response.

Four years ago I replaced the original old Perko switch when I did a
battery upgrade/rewire/shunt+monitor.  Now I’m worried about simply
replacing with the same one if it’s prone to failure.

Luckily this happened at the dock but it could have been really bad if I’d
needed power in a hurry.

I’m now thinking I’ll wire up a “backup” bypass directly to the starter in
case this happens again or for jump starting, etc.

Any thoughts on this from the collective wisdoms of this list?

Thanks,
  Jeremy