Hi Russ! Good idea...I was just following the included instructions by mixing
with the polyurethane first...this kinda worked but didn't disperse the walnut
shells evenly.I created a test board, put a few coats of Minwax Satin
Polyurethane on it, then with a wet coat and a re-purposed jam jar with a nail
hole in the top (not too big) I sprinkled as evenly as possible, let it dry
(spreading a wet coat over the not-so-wet coat kinda messed up the bottom
coat). Letting it dry completely and adding another coat seemed to work as I
liked.Taping the Holly stripes seemed to cause more surface
disruption...pulling the tape up right after laying down a coat left tape
lines/ridges that are a bit annoying.=C2=A0 I will be testing without taping
and see how annoying the walnut shells are on the holly..UPDATE: Using an old
jam jar with one small nail hole init for the walnut shells I was able to
control the sprinkle onto the wet polyurethane evenly. The proof will be when I
replace the cabin sole and lay down the rugs to see how easily they move
around.IF...any lister would like a supply of crushed walnut shells just let me
know where to send it...I have about 2/3rds of an 18 oz jam jar that I will
never use.  I would suspect that 2-3 tablespoons more than cover a typical
cabin sole...
Spencer Johnson84 LF 38 "Alegria" #165Racine, WI / Waukegan, IL