Hi Spencer,

Good to hear. I too find that clear polyurethane coatings are too viscous for the shells dispersing... paint too.

The idea of waiting until after tack is so you don't sand between coats. In this application a next day overcoat is usually just fine.

I think someone else suggested taping the holly strips as I hadn't thought of it. Seems a little anal to me for something you trod on anyhow. A sole is supposed to functional not something that you might pour a wine and sit on to admire. Yeesh.

I stopped using walnut shells on deck applications because the coating gets rubbed off quickly and the turn dark. In easy going applications it's not a concern. On companionway treads & such I like the subtle contrast when it goes darker as it's good for old eyes to discern the steps, etc.

Using that jam jar mod is brilliant. And I hear that down south it can also be used to apply bourbon (to yourself, without the lid).

        Cheers, Russ
        ex-Sweet 35 mk-1
        east side, Vancouver Island

Hi Russ! Good idea...I was just following the included instructions by mixing with the polyurethane first...this kinda worked but didn't disperse the walnut shells evenly.I created a test board, put a few coats of Minwax Satin Polyurethane on it, then with a wet coat and a re-purposed jam jar with a nail hole in the top (not too big) I sprinkled as evenly as possible, let it dry (spreading a wet coat over the not-so-wet coat kinda messed up the bottom coat). Letting it dry completely and adding another coat seemed to work as I liked.Taping the Holly stripes seemed to cause more surface disruption...pulling the tape up right after laying down a coat left tape lines/ridges that are a bit annoying.=C2=A0 I will be testing without taping and see how annoying the walnut shells are on the holly.. UPDATE: Using an old jam jar with one small nail hole init for the walnut shells I was able to control the sprinkle onto the wet polyurethane evenly. The proof will be when I replace the cabin sole and lay down the rugs to see how easily they move around. IF...any lister would like a supply of crushed walnut shells just let me know where to send it...I have about 2/3rds of an 18 oz jam jar that I will never use. I would suspect that 2-3 tablespoons more than cover a typical cabin sole...

Spencer Johnson
84 LF 38 "Alegria" #165
Racine, WI / Waukegan, IL