I had my first rebuilding experience with my aging Suzuki 2.5 this month.  I
decided to do a carburetor rebuild as the motor was not starting or running
well.  Thanks to the wonders of the internet, I found several YouTube videos
describing the process.  I found it to be pretty straightforward to disassemble
and reassemble.  To my surprise, it looked really clean inside with no obvious
problem areas.  I used carb cleaner and replaced a few gaskets, new spark plug,
put it back together.  Then I disassembled the lower unit and greased and
replaced gaskets and impeller there.  I added lube and tried to start it.  I
took many many pulls to finally get it to start, and I was willing to write
that off to needing to get fuel through an empty system.  To my dismay, it was
very hard to start every time I shut it down, even when fairly warm (harder
than before disassembly).  So I did not improve its performance at all as far
as I can tell.  I did not disassemble the cylinder head and did not find a
YouTube for that adventure.  The motor did have an overheat incident when the
water pump failed a few years ago and has never run the same since, so I
suspect that is part of the problem, but I can’t see how that would affect
starting.  Anyone have suggestions on whether it is worth further disassembly?
Thanks- Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT