Agreed. I am also five minutes from my boat, it is covered when on the hard, and I "plug-in" and check on things regularly. I find it therapeutic.

-----Original Message----- From: Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2020 9:42 AM
To: 'cnc-list@cnc-list.com'
Cc: Hoyt, Mike
Subject: Re: Stus-List Garboard drain or Wet Vac

I think it is quite different in the colder climates. On the East Coast of Canada we get a lot of wet precipitation and many freeze/thaw cycles over the winter. What had convinced me to go with garboard drain in previous boats was this combined with the winter inaccessibility of the boats. We were sailing from a marina in cottage country nearly 2 hours from our home. The boat would be unattended from the time it was closed up on the hard in early October until we next visited in April.

One year a coupe hired someone to put a new teak / holly cabin sole in their Newport 28. That winter the cockpit filled with snow, then it rained and then it froze. This prevented the cockpit scuppers from working and eventually we had rain that overflowed from the companionway and into the cabin. This of course froze and the cycle went on. The new sole was ruined. That spring they installed a garboard drain (and had the sole replaced).

Our current boat is in Halifax approx. 5 minutes from our home. The boat is covered and is on my daily commute so I see it daily. However others who have boats on the hard at our club are not by daily and have had problems. In the winter of 2015 we had massive amounts of snow. A number of sailboat covers collapsed and water followed by ice made its way into the boats. One J35 had to be recovered in the spring and sat on the hard for a year to dry out before the repairs could be completed at the insistence of the insurance company. We were lucky. I noted the imminent collapse of our cover and was able to spend 2 hours cleaning it off and strengthening the supports.

Garbord drains are not pretty but they can do a lot to limit damages to unattended boats stored on the hard over a Northern winter. On Persistence we do not have a garboard drain .. this is only because I visually inspect the boat during my daily commute and visit it often over the winters ...

Mike

Persistence
Halifax, NS

-----Original Message----- From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of Matthew L. Wolford via CnC-List