That certainly sounds like good advice. I now keep lots of throwables in the
cockpit.

I recall an incident that happened to me around 20 years ago. We were headed
back to the harbor on a beautiful 4th of July weekend, as squalls were about an
hour away. For some reason, my daughter and her friend who were laying on the
foredeck  thought it would be a good idea if one of them hopped over and said,
oh save me,  and the other was to jump in to save her. They were both on the
swim team, so, of course good swimmers.  As I saw the first one go over I said
a couple of expletives, and told my other daughter in the cockpit to throw the
first one a zip up life preserver which happened to be hanging over the
lifelines drying. Then and my daughter on the foredeck jumped over after her
friend, a couple more expletives, and  I said throw the other PFD. I never even
thought of the horseshoe, but in this case it was for the best. The first girl
did get the life preserver, and zipped it on herself just before a 20-ft I-O
steamed over the top of her and chopped her thigh half off. This all happened
before I had even jibed. (at that time I didn’t even know what had happened).
I can say with a pretty good degree of certainty, that if she had not gotten
that life preserver on, she would never have popped back up again and would not
be a great internist today. Two months in intensive care gave her the idea that
she would like to be a doctor. And the $1,045,000 her father sued the other guy
and me for was probably didn’t hurt.

Bill Coleman