From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Della Barba,
Joe via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 12:49 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Della Barba, Joe
Subject: Re: Stus-List Dumb question of the day - life rings, horseshoe or
cushion?

IMHO the only way throwing it will work is if the boat is anchored or you sail
back to the person and throw it at point-blank range. If you want to
experiment, get someone to randomly throw something off and then yell MOB while
sailing at 6 knots and then you throw your ring/horseshoe.  I am 99% certain
they will end up no place close to each other.

BTW – have any of you ever actually done a MOB recovery? I used to do real MOBs
when I was a sailing instructor if it was a hot day. It all went great until an
overweight older lady, despite everyone else yelling NO!!!!! , jumped off
without asking. We didn’t have ladders, she was decades past being able to pull
herself up onto the boat, and despite the rest of the crew that day being
athletic 20 somethings there was NO WAY we were getting back on the boat
without hurting her. I ended up towing her back to Annapolis and she climbed up
a dock ladder at the marina.

Joe Della Barba Coquina C&C 35  MK I

www.dellabarba.com