One reason to use a fuse in addition to a breaker is to protect smaller
gauge wire. In many panels (like mine) breakers are 15A, which would
require all wire runs to be 10-12ga (maybe 8ga on larger boats for long
runs) in order to supply 15A without wire damage. Of course, C&C didn't use
this size wire for most runs, so to protect them, a small fuse sized for
the intended load and wire gauge should be used. Otherwise, a short in the
circuit could cause wire damage before a 15A breaker trips.

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com