Thanks Chuck. I had measured using a old style caliper and then reading it on the scale on my digital caliper which came out as 75mm. But after your caution I decided to waits for a real micrometer to get the true(r) measurement.

I think that drilling the hole for the through bold will be a huge PITA as the short end of the arm is facing the transom and the vertical support we put in to reenforce the deck. Also, there's not much room there. Should be fun...

Tom B

At 06:46 AM 4/20/2020, you wrote:
Message: 2
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 08:11:17 -0400
From: Stus-List Linear Auto Pilot install 37+/40
To: <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Linear Auto Pilot install 37+/40

Tom,
Thought I'd weigh in as a former Edsonite.. The most important thing to realize when installing the autopilot is that the clamping action of the arm and cap for the tiller arm is the primary form of attachment to the rudder post. Edson makes the arm with a .002" clamping tolerance to the diameter of the rudder post. The secondary or "failsafe" attachment is a key, through bolt, or set screws. When you order your tiller arm, don't assume that C&C always used the same diameter stainless post for every boat and model. It's important to get precise measurement of the post where you wish to attach the arm, preferably using a digital caliper to achieve the proper tolerance. Measure the exact diameter of the post, and take several measurements as you rotate the caliper around the post at a variety of positions where the tiller arm will attach. When Edson bores the arm to your specification, they'll insert a small piece of paper between the arm and cap. Removing it will give the arm the proper undersized clamping tolerance needed for the arm to grab the post without slippage. Again, the keyway or through bolt should prevent the arm from rotating ONLY if the clamping tolerance is compromised, as in a hard grounding, rudder stop failure, or other drastic event.

As you've found, if there's no accessible keyway cut in the post, the through bolt method is preferred if the post is hollow (typical with SS posts) or set screws if the post is solid (usually with a bronze rudder post). Getting the arm positioned to drill the post and tiller arm can be problematic, finding a drill bit long enough to get it in place and then drilling through the hard steel (thus the need for a carbide bit and some lubricating oil to prevent work hardening the bit) but avoid the temptation to "pre drill" the arm before installing on the post. This is because the likelihood of you being able to match up the holes on the post with the holes on the arm are not great given the confined space you'll have to work with and the difficulty of keeping the drill level while you work. The tiller arm has a very important plus side as it enables your autopilot to serve as an emergency tiller in the event of a steering system failure such as a fractured radial drive, cable breakage or idler failure. Finally, make sure that the autopilot isn't set up as the rudder stop as damage to the autopilot can occur.
Good luck with the install and Edson is a good source for advice..
Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic
1983 35 Landfall
Padanaram, MA