From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of Dave Godwin via
CnC-List
Sent: May 7, 2020 5:21 PM
To: C&C List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Dave Godwin <dave.god...@me.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List 34-36R Deck Repair Project

“ I like to work on the boat almost as much as I enjoy sailing. “

C’mon down to the Lower 48 and help me jump-start my project hobby… ;-)

Regards,
Dave Godwin
1982 C&C 37 - Ronin
Reedville - Chesapeake Bay
Ronin’s Overdue Refit<http://roninrebuild.blogspot.com/>

On May 7, 2020, at 11:21 AM, James Bibb via CnC-List

Mike, thanks for the info and the link.  I’m now becoming very excited about
the work for some reason...I like to work on the boat almost as much as I enjoy
sailing.

James Bibb
Sent from my iPad

James Bibb
NorthWind Architects LLC
126 Seward St. Street
Juneau, Alaska. 99801

(907) 321-4265 cell
(907) 586-6150 ext 5 wk

On May 7, 2020, at 5:04 AM, Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List

While we are talking about deck core replacement I thought I would post a link
to the project where we did this on Nut Case our former J/27 in 2008.  Note
that the J Boats of that era tended to not have hardware well sealed when
manufactured resulting in many areas of wet core.

http://www.hoytsailing.com/J27Web/Projects/recore/recore.htm

When we spoke to the broker prior to purchasing the J27 he suggested that we
“sail it as is until something major breaks and then cut it up with a
chainsaw”.  The wet core had reduced the original asking price of 19,500 USD to
our purchase price of 7000 USD.  We ended up replacing the core in 14 different
sections of the deck and cockpit.  The hull was basically dry and it was a
great boat and a lot of fun.

The link to the boat and its full list of projects can be found here if anyone
is interested. http://www.hoytsailing.com/J27Web/Index.html  Projects included
garboard drain, cabin sole replacement, building a custom trailer, re-bedding
(properly) everything, a complete bottom job and other various tasks.

The core areas were replaced by cutting off the top skin and discarding.
Others have had great success with removing the top skin and saving for re-use.
 Balsa coring was used since it is cheap, easily transported and obtained and
now well sealed.  The decks were strong and very solid after the repairs.

Hope this is of some use to somebody.

Mike