From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Bailey White
via CnC-List
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 1:45 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Bailey White
Subject: Re: Stus-List Back stay tension clarification

Happy Friday to everyone.  I've enjoyed the discussions this week.

2000 psi on a hydraulic backstay for a large keelboat is not very much and
seems overly conservative to me, particularly with the large headsails that
many of our boats have.

We used to routinely go to 4000 psi on a 33 foot Santa Cruz ULDB routinely when
I raced in San Francisco Bay.  Bigger boats, much more.  North Sails recommends
4300 psi for a J/35 in 14 knots true as another example.
http://www.j35-fleet7.com/training/training_tuning_NorthSails_guide.pdf

I try to not push too hard on my 1979 C&C 36 but go to 2500 to get the headstay
closer to where I would expect it in heavy air cruising.  I suspect it would be
just right at 4000 but I have not raced this boat in anger enough to do that.

best,

Bailey White

C&C 36

Lake Lanier, GA