Joel,
 I'm in the middle of doing mine on a 30-1 it's not hard but the rudder
does weigh around 100 lbs.
You're going to need about 2 feet of clearance under the rudder (assuming
you're on the hard) to pull the rudder completely out.

The steering quadrant should have one a through bolt and four bolt that
hold the clam shells together, push up on the rudder until taking away all
the axial play and block it up, remove the through bolt, I put zip ties on
the cables at the wheels to hold them in place, loosen the bolts on the
stuffing box( should be three bolts where the rudder shaft comes through
the lower hull), remove the tiller cap and it should come right out.

Mind you my cables were not very tight so I did not have to mess with them
but they are only jam nutted and not hard to loosen, just measure how much
thread is showing so you can return it to the correct tension.

Lewis Cooke
S/V For Play
C&C 30-1 #45