Hey Lewis,
When I dropped my rudder, I dug a hole and setup an egg crate as a fulcrum and
caught the weight of the rudder with an eight foot long 2x8 plank, as a lever.
I had a thick cushion under the rudder tip and a thick rubber mat.  I also laid
a few fenders and cushions on the ground to make a soft nest where I could lay
the rudder down gently and not chip the sharp edges.   Anyway, I added weight
to the end of the lever till it pushed the rudder up tight and added a little
more, and then I undid the bolts above so the rudder was supported until I got
down to control the drop from underneath.  Did it alone and preparation made it
pretty easy.  To get it back in, I got some help to steer the SS rudder stock
back up into the shaft in the hull and used the same lever and fulcrum
technigue so it was the least effort.  My helper stood on the wooden plank
while I ran up the ladder and installed the pin with roller bearings.

Do you know if the steering system on you C&C 30 is Edson or Whitlock or which
brand?

Chuck S