From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of CHARLES
SCHEAFFER via CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 3:51 PM
To: CNC boat owners, cnc-list
Cc: CHARLES SCHEAFFER
Subject: Stus-List installing plastic anchors in fiberglass

Hi Guys,

The fiberglass sea good that covers the cabintop window and companionway slider
on my 34R is attached with a dozen #8 x 1" wood screws.  The holes for these
screws penetrate the balsa core of the cabintop and were sealed with white
caulk.  There is no way to through bolt it.  I'm planning to overdrill the
holes to 3/4" and fill with Thixo flexible epoxy and then drill the holes to
1/4" to take plastic masonry anchors.  The SS wood screws will like these
anchors, be removable and the core will be better protected from water
penetration.  I'm trying to decide between using plastic masonry anchors made
for wood screws, or screw in threaded fittings and use machine screws.   Or
maybe I should drill and tap the epoxy and use machine screws?  Any better
ideas?

Masonry anchors:

https://www.kimballmidwest.com/All-Products/Fasteners/Anchors/Tubular-Screw-Anchors/483072

Threaded fittings:

https://www.grainger.com/category/fasteners/thread-insert/self-locking-inserts?cm_sp=Product_Details-_-Categories_Based_on_Your_Search-_-IDPPLACAT

Thanks,

Chuck Scheaffer Resolute 1989 C&C 34R, Pasadena Md