>From everything I have seen, the Beta Marine engines are a great option.
One of the biggest problems with engine replacement is getting the bedding
correct.  Beta addresses this by designing mounts that are designed to be
like for like with popular counterparts such as Yanmar and Universal.  From
what I recall the price is about half that of a Yanmar and without the cost
of a re-bed the Beta is very competitively priced.  I have a 30Hp Yanmar
3HM35F in my 37+ (40 ft) and often feel like it might be a little anemic.
I would avoid turbo charged versions if at all possible.

As for a feathering prop I have one (Max Prop).  I like the engineering but
if doing the annual maintenance is something you would rather avoid then a
fixed prop might be a better choice.  A fixed pitch prop requires a
transmission that can freewheel/waterwheel or has a shaft break.  Check
with each manufacturer.  The nice thing about the max prop or similar is
that if you find that the boat is over pitched or under pitched you can
adjust (not on the fly).  The new max props can be adjusted by a diver in
the water, older style require a haul out.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD