Who knew this would turn into such an interesting thread.  When I get a few
minutes I’ll do the descriptive statistics on the responses and report the
mean.  Here’s to Cam, youngest member at 32!

I have 30 MK I hull #79, which I named Grenadine, built in 1972.  I was nine
years old then.  I’m in my fifth season with her, and it’s the best one yet.
I’ve given her lots of TLC.  She deserves it and more.

When the Viking Mars landers were flying in the mid-70s, my dad was in mission
control at JPL.  His friend had a Cal 29 and a son my age (12-13), and we’d
weekend on Catalina.  I was hooked.  A bunch of life went by, and I started
farting around with Sunfish and Hobies whenever I could.  Then I bought
captained charters in the Grenadines at charity auctions, and introduced my
family to the wonders.  Started taking courses, joined a J/22 timeshare
program, and crewed on other people’s race boats for a few years before finding
Grenadine.  Now have about ten years’ experience and a few bareboat charters
under my belt.  I only wish I’d started this trajectory earlier in life.  But
at least I’ve got my kids hooked :)

Cheers,
Randy