My 15 HP 78 pound engine goes on in March/April and off in November or
December. I have never even thought about trying to remove it and take it
aboard.  My RIB tows just fine with an engine on, although there is a fair
amount of drag.
My engine theory is this.

1.       Stick to two strokes, 4-strokes are very heavy and have issues with
being stored at certain angles.

2.       Go big or go small, don't go for the middle. I can do 18-20 knots in
the dinghy with a load of people and supplies. If I got a different type of
dinghy I could not tow with the engine on, I would get a 2-3 HP 2-stroke I
could pick up with two fingers. If you aren't planing anyway, the difference in
speed between a 2 HP and 4 or 6 is minimal. If you just can't make yourself
scavenge Craigslist for used engines, you can always subject yourself to the
lawn mower noise of a 2 HP Honda.

3.       This brings up another point, check the ratings of your dinghy for
power and *weight*. My dinghy is rated for 25 HP, but also has a max engine
weight of something like 125 pounds. I do not think any 4-stroke 25 HP engine
will make the weight limit.

Re the dates above, one year I decided to leave the dinghy in all year for bird
photography at the wildlife park across the river. Not only does it concentrate
the mind to be the only boat moving on a very cold day, it snowed while I was
gone on business, then it got warm and rained, and then a cold front came
through and I ended up with 3 inches of solid ice in the dinghy :( End of that
experiment!

Joe Della Barba Coquina C&C 35  MK I
www.dellabarba.com