Chandler,
Sounds like more like their diesel than hate it . . . .
Last year our 34 had, it turned out, no compression in one cylinder and the
repair required the engine come out (not enough space under the cockpit), which
meant the boat had to come out  .  . so several thousand dollars just to
diagnose, let alone repair.  I hate the vibration of a diesel, and the engine
was 40 years old and very smelly, so I was not excited about just rebuilding
it, but irregardless – 10 thousand dollars would not have surprised me.
So I went over to try electric.
Thunderstruck makes a complete sailboat package, and for about 4 thousand
dollars we had all the parts needed.  Then, of course the old engine had to
come out and labor to fit the new one and close up the thru-hulls, etc. We used
the existing prop and shaft.
I used four of your typical deep cycle marine batteries (rather than a serious
battery bank), so for 500 dollars we had 48 volts.  Then a battery charger and
the Key to the program – a Slip – for Plug-In  . . . . .
I’m relying on a full charge when we go out but our plan is only limited trips
in and around Buzzards Bay.  If we broaden our horizon in a couple of years,
then more battery capacity will likely be needed.
So, our C&C 34 has more torque now and No Diesel Smell and nice smelling
cushions and virtually no vibration and minimal noise, etc.
The down side of course is range, but I’m a sailor at heart, and will wait it
out when we get becalmed.  Buzzards Bay very seldom is windless.
Our plan now is to find a small generator (Christmas List) and put it in the
‘engine room’ as ‘insurance’ when and if needed.
So far – Happiness reigns . . . .
A friend here at Edson with a Luders 33 installed the same Thunderstruck 10KW
himself and is very happy with it.  He has a wind vane on a pole, and charges
with his prop when sailing, so he keeps batteries up while on a mooring.
Rob Ball
C&C 34
Escapade