I can't speak to electric for a larger vessel, but we switched from an 8hp
Honda outboard to an e-propulsion Navy 3 on our 25 mkII at the start of the
season. It has been great so far, and is practically silent. That did take
a little getting used to. Range anxiety is less than the fuel and carb
anxiety. We seldom motor more than 3-5 NM, and use about 1/3 of the Navy
battery each outing. We charge it up while getting the boat ready or after
a sail (or general boat work) since we neither have nor want to install AC
power onboard.

We're considering getting a Honda e2000 to have a sort of hybrid system if
we ever decide to go further out. A similar strategy might be feasible for
a larger boat. In the meantime, not having any fuel on board is very nice.
No exhaust fumes going downwind is also great.

We went through Annapolis Hybrid Marine, and they have been fantastic!

I do like diesels, but electric is working out to be a great replacement
for a noisy gas outboard. Best improvement since new sails!

- Stephen