Better?  Maybe/maybe not.
http://knowhow.napaonline.com/what-is-hoat-coolant-4-things-you-need-to-know/

Ethylene glycol isn't actually bad for the environment.  It readily breaks
down and degrades.  It's just toxic to aminals should they ingest it.  On
the other hand, many other coolants may not be toxic to animals but they
don't biodegrade.  Propylene glycol is one of them IIRC.  I had been the
type to try for the latest and greatest products but when I learned that
ethylene glyco is arguably less impactful to the environment I switched
back.  It's more common and cheaper too.

"Ethylene glycol does not persist in large amounts in ambient air because
breakdown is rapid (half-life in air is 8-84 hours). In environmental
exposure situations, its low vapor pressure precludes substantial
inhalation exposure at ambient temperatures, and its poor skin absorption
prevents significant absorption after dermal contact. Ethylene glycol is
miscible with water and will leach through soil to groundwater. It
biodegrades rapidly in soil (half-life, 2-12 days). The half-life ranges
from 2-12 days in surface water and 4- 24 days in ground water. Because it
is not fat soluble and biodegrades rapidly, bioconcentration and
bioaccumulation are insignificant (Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease
Registry 1997"

Do your own research by Google searching or pulling the SDS on your coolant
of choice.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+