It's not uncommon for the thermistor to fail. That can affect the
temperature reading, but not the speed. Definitely pull the sensor. It may
be fouled, or a magnet in one of the vanes might have come loose. I don't
recommend painting the paddle wheel. Since the boat has been on the hard
for some time, you might want to replace the "O" rings surrounding the
sensor.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC