From: nausetbe...@optonline.net
Date: 2020-09-28 16:47 (GMT-05:00)
To: 'Stus-List' <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Stus-List Potential "Next" Boat - Keel Issue ?'s

I looked at a boat yesterday that seemed like a good contender for a “next”
boat, right up until just prior to leaving I looked more closely at the keel
and found something that does not look particularly good.  I am hoping for some
sage advice from the list, as in a) walk away, or b) might be repaired, and if
so what would be entailed and is it worth it.  This would have to be on the
current owner’s tab, or a very hefty discount in the price.

I tried to attach low res pics but that exceeded the list max message size, so
here is a link I hope works:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNHJ22k8kS3ukfBzXz67enViRMDw3GAOASwiS49uupKViTIDFeNzLj1LE_pav81Yw?key=QkR1X0FXWlgyclBzY1JYcUtIckRJRGh3dzIyMURR

The keel has a fairly significant crack extending at least 18” aft from the
leading edge.  [The bottom was recently painted and I did not try to follow it
further aft.]  That gap [in the attached photos] is at least 3/8” on the
horizontal axis and about ¼” on the vertical.  The trailing edge has some
cracks which are not overly visible, again due to the bottom paint.
Unfortunately I did not look closely at / around the keel bolts, nor do I have
any internal photos, as I noticed this after the boat was closed up.  The boat
is 4 ½ hours away so getting more photos is not feasible.

To my untrained eye it appears there was a hard grounding and the keel almost
seems to have shifted aft in addition to down, based on the angle of the line
from the fairing of the hull down to the leading edge of the keel.  But there
does not appear to be any movement aft at the trailing edge, though possibly it
was punched up.  This does not appear to be along the sump / keel joint as the
crack is angled upwards and is not horizontal.  The owner claims there have
been no hard groundings when asked directly, only a handful of soft groundings,
predominantly in sand, but I have read even that can do damage.  The boat was
recently under contract and surveyed and that buyer decided against going
forward.  The reasons given by the broker did not include any mention of damage
revealed during the survey.  I do not have a copy of that buyers survey.

Any thoughts on what would need to be done to remedy this, or am I better off
to move on and keep looking?  Should the keel be dropped and the keel bolts
examined?  Or would there be other, less intrusive / expensive fixes which
would be sufficient and safe?  I realize it is difficult to really determine
the best repair without physically examining the boat but any advice on what
likely would be required is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian