I debated the preventer issue last year and ended up putting in a Dutchman boom
brake instead.  It is more complicated and more expensive, but here are the
reasons:
1. I race periodically short or single-handed and jibing in high winds is
challenging in those conditions.  With the boom brake set, I can safely jibe
without ever touching the mainsheet as it slows boom movement dramatically.
2.  When cruising or racing in seas, wing on wing or shifty winds, I can clamp
the brake so it prevents accidental jibes.
3. I never have to leave the cockpit to set a preventer.

Negatives:
1.  Expensive
2.  Takes some practice to get it set right so it works as expected.

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT

> On Oct 31, 2020, at 7:00 PM, Marek Dziedzic <dziedzi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

October is the time to show your appreciation with a small contribution to this
list to help offset the costs. If you want to support the list - use PayPal to