From: Matthew [mailto:wolf...@erie.net]
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 10:40 AM
To: 'Stus-List' <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: Preventer boom placement

Peter:

                Although Josh and Andy do it “right,” unless you’re sailing in
relatively heavy air (25 knots and up) I suspect it is unlikely you will break
the boom using the existing mainsheet boom bail.  Obviously, the further out
the better.  We use a boom vang kit as a preventer (I believe it is Schaefer --
http://riggingonly.com/TACKLEVANG04.htm ).  The kit is stored down below when
not in use.  If we anticipate using it, we store it on deck near the mast.  To
use it, we attach one end to the aft boom bail and the other end (with the cam)
to the toe rail forward of the boom, then snug it up.  It would undoubtedly be
better (safer) to secure it to the end of boom.  To gybe, we remove the
preventer entirely, bring the main all the way in, gybe the main, let it back
out, and secure the preventer on the other side.  We do not leave the preventer
on the boom through the gybe, as it could be a lethal weapon.

I believe this method is fairly typical around here (Erie).  Perhaps Bill
Coleman will weigh in.

                Matt

                C&C 42 Custom

October is the time to show your appreciation with a small contribution to this
list to help offset the costs. If you want to support the list - use PayPal to