From: Novabraid via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2020 9:43 AM
To: 'Stus-List' <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: csgilchr...@comcast.net
Subject: Stus-List Re: Americas Cup racing

Maybe I’m one of the few that enjoy both yacht racing AND auto racing.  The
golden age of auto racing mirrored that of yacht racing competition.  No big
sponsor logos, national pride (Italian marques drove red cars, British Green,
French Blue, etc).  But to sustain the interest, there needed to be changes in
equipment and that necessitated the rising cost of participation and
sponsorship.  Which begat TV and Pay to Watch internet coverage.

I would submit that auto racing at least at the Grand Prix level is probably a
better spectator sport.  But I’ve never paid to go to a Formula 1 race for cars
but took my family to watch the AC races in San Francisco which is something
they’ll never forget.  In 72’ foiling multis.  Maybe not “elegant” but really
fun to watch in person.

Several years ago, my son and I went to see the J Class Worlds off Newport,
elegant yes.. boring,  Yup!

I’m balking at doling out $175 to watch the racing live this go-round.  Races
and courses seem too short for my taste, but that is likely to change once the
challenger series is completed.  I’d love to see these boats racing in more
“offshore conditions” like Perth Australia or even off Newport RI.  That would
be sporty enough to make for good TV.

Chuck Gilchrest

S/V Half Magic

1983 Landfall 35