Charlie, I'm thinking that sanding an ablative paint is a waste of effort.
Since the surface is constantly being refreshed, the smooth surface that
you create by sanding is gone in a short time frame. If you want a super
smooth bottom I would think that it would be better to use a hard,
non-ablative paint and spend a little money having a dive service scrub the
bottom on a monthly basis. For our area, I have had great success with
Trinidad. My last bottom job lasted for more than 5 years.
James Taylor
S/V Delaney
C&C 38
Oriental, NC