+1 on why race Chuck. All your points are valid and they match my own reasons
for doing it—plus a few more.
I got into sailing late in life and had a terrific mentor who was a champion
sailor at Old Dominion in college. So I learned what it took to get a boat to
maximize its potential—all in PHRF racing. Plus he found crew.
I found two additional reasons why I race:
1) I wanted to earn the respect of the sailors I raced against, most of whom
knew a lot more than I about sailing and racing. I thought it would be cool to
compete with what I thought were the best sailors, at least locally.
2) I found I enjoyed the competition, the thrill of a good start, catching
someone to windward or keeping them behind me downwind, etc. among friends was
fun! Of course, I was more often behind, than ahead, blew the start, was Lee
bowed and left in the gas of other boats and finished DFL! Back at the dock, we
commiserated among the crew but often our competitors would come by and
congratulate us about a good move even in defeat!
After many years, I am usually mid-fleet but with enough top finishes to make
up for the boat costs and troubles and difficulty of finding and keeping crew.
I still love being “...in the game...” and as long as I do, I will race (and
sail) on!
Charlie NelsonWater Phantom

Sent from the all new Aol app for iOS

On Saturday, January 30, 2021, 1:31 PM, CHARLES SCHEAFFER via CnC-List