Yes. In fact, he owned a C&C 30 XL Gremellen? rigged identically to my 36 XL. I
invited his then crew to come and race my new to me 36 soon after I had her
delivered to NC.
We smoked the local PHRF spinnaker fleet since his crew was both excellent and
were racing a boat almost identical to his (his foredeck guy claimed to be a
boat Ho and that he new nothing aft of the mast. OTOH, at the last minute on
Greg’s call he switched the foredeck from a bear away to a gybe set which would
take most of the downwind leg for my crew to manage!
Gremellyn was lost when on the hard a storm blew other boats onto to his. Great
guy and he knew his racing. BTW, he had just acquired an Audi convertible and
on his way to NC on the deserted 2 lane roads from Norfolk to Washington pegged
her more than a few times at ~140 mph!
Funny story with Greg: Went to his area for a racing seminar—North maybe—and we
met for dinner at his favorite Thai? Restaurant—on me since I was actively
picking his racing brain!
Anyhow he orders some dish and asks for the 911 hot sauce. As a boob from
eastern NC, I ask what the hell was that. He says it’s the hottest sauce they
have and it’s called 911 for obvious reasons. It arrives (I ordered a mild
sauce) and my eyes start watering from the vapors of HIS 911 sauce!
Nonetheless, he digs in and soon is crying for water to put the fire out in his
mouth!
IMHO, he is one of those guys who know so much about racing that they ooze
information just listening to him.

I think he still races on an Elliot 770? With his daughter as crew or skipper.
Nice to know you know him—can be a small world indeed!
Charlie NelsonWater Phantom
Sent from the all new Aol app for iOS