Great thread! Great points. I do love the competition, and it has made me a
much better sailor. Started racing PHRF on a hunter 33,38,46 same owner kept
upgrading. He could have had a J/120 but the wife would not let him upgrade
without a washer and dryer!
Regardless it was competition, and fun against some killer boats out of
Stamford  and yes, lots of them! We actually won a few too!  I happened  upon
my  C&C 37 when I went to Oriental to just get a slip few years back. So many
boats in town, but so few racers, :( I was talked into doing a pursuit race
which we won, after starting last and I was hooked! Learned the start sequence
and had a ball in the JAM class. I loved the racing so much, but waiting to see
if you really won was killer, and I always marvelled at the pointy Etchells 3
of them that would blow past me. So here comes  the competition again. I found
a used etchells very cheap. The new set of sails was worth 2x more then what we
paid for the whole deal! I  talked my neighbor who was a very serious J/24
champ out of NJ. Into splitting it with me. We cleaned her up painted her and
were off to the races literally! :) Very minimal investment As mentioned in
others post, this guy is my mentor one of those who does not raise the voice
who just loves to sail. I have Learned so so much! I was having fun but this
was new level, against national champion crew and another few 20-25 year
veterans. He is one of the ones with a calm voice that has taught me to the
game, spinnaker, port start, lee bow, angles ....
We now have 4  etchells. Head to head fun.  Whats sad as mentioned is the
decline of participation in the races. These old(er) timers speak of 40 -75
boats on the line years ago, when now there is the just the 4 of us and MAYBE 5
boats in the JAM class on a good day. I am hopeful as mentioned to get some of
the cruising fleet to give it a go and not be scared of damage to boat or ego,
just go have fun. I am passonate about keeping it alive and this year have
joined the Board or the club and will do whatever I can to keep it alive for
the good of sailng.  As Charlie says, Sail on!

John Conklin
S/V Halcyon
www.flirtingwithfire.net

On Jan 30, 2021, at 12:52 PM, CHARLES SCHEAFFER via CnC-List