I have never done this in heavy air, but in light/moderate wind the outside
jibe for me is a non-event. The only issue would be in really light stuff not
letting the boat run over the sheets if the sail goes slack. In really light
stuff - no winches needed - I manage both sheets to pull the sail around
without dropping 30 feet of line in the water ahead of the boat.

Joe Della Barba
DCSI
410-966-7255