I wouldn’t worry too much about a diesel with 3000+ hours on it—it’s not like a
gasoline-powered engine.  That said, I lost my original engine with about 5000
hours on it.  I lost the oil somehow along th ICW—it wasn’t due to the engine
simply wearing out.  If you are using the boat just on the Chesapeake, it will
take you a long time to get a lot of hours on the engine.

The C&C 40 is a nice boat!

Bob

> On Mar 18, 2021, at 10:59 AM, Joe Della Barba via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> Would buying a C&C 40 with an original engine be a good idea in 2021?
> We are running some numbers here and it is basically a choice between
> upgrading and replacing. Coquina is 48 years old now and it is time to do
> some $$$ upgrades or buy another boat with much of the work done. We found a
> used C&C 40 that looks gorgeous below, the interior beats most used boats of
> that era. She seems in good shape, but the engine is original with 3,000+
> hours. An Atomic 4 per the manual should be rebuilt at 3,000 hours if FWC, a
> raw water cooled version would be very lucky to get that far in salt water.
> The Yanmar is FWC. I frequently hear that diesels can last 10,000 hours, but
> then again a significant number of boats from that era are for sale with new
> engines.
> Also re the rod rigging – the mast is out for the winter. With the rigging
> easily accessed, what would the cost be of a rigging inspection to assure
> that the rod is still good.
> Thanks!
>

> Joe Della Barba
> Coquina C&C 35 MK I
> Kent Island MD USA

> <https://www.paypal.me/stumurray>  Thanks - Stu

Robert Boyer
s/v Rainy Days
C&C Landfall 38, Hull #230
(Spending hurricane season in Baltimore, winters in the Bahamas, and on the ICW
in between)
411 Walnut Street #11447
Green Cove Springs, FL 32043
(443) 994-1802