I ground the exterior edges to taper toward the hole then made a
correspondingly tapered patch using three (iirc- might have been four, depends
on the hull thickness) layers of biaxial stitch mat.   Each layer progressively
larger, the largest the circumference of the ground area.
I laid these up on a sheet of waxed paper, smallest on top, wetted out with
epoxy, then  applied it like a bandage to the prepared area.    I had
pre-painted the prepped area with unfilled epoxy.
Once in place, a consolidating roller was used to ensure that any excess epoxy
resin was displaced by glass- making for the densest possible layup.
I had also prepped the interior by sanding etc.  No taper.  I put a large patch
over that.  I think two layers.  This was done before the exterior had fully
cured to ensure a good wet-on-wet bond.  I may have skimmed a very thin layer
of glass filled epoxy putty over the interior first to help prevent  any small
voids around the edge of the hole.
The interior patch was larger and also covered the through-hull hole I intended
to use, (so - stronger) and after re-boring that hole I added a reinforcing
ring of glass inside, bedded in epoxy putty.
I have no concern at all about the integrity of any of this stuff. The
materials are amazingly strong and the work isn’t that difficult.  The hull is
now stronger in this area for sure.
Some of the details on the blog.
Best of luck.

Dave 33-2