Boric acid is very effective, but the spiders have to come into direct
contact with it for it to work. I use it in the garden and it protects
against all but squirrels and neglect. Spiders may be less likely to wander
into it though.

For backpacking, I spray permethrin on shoes/pants to knock out ticks and
mosquitos. It stays around for multiple washings, so might be viable for
docklines. It says it's effective against spiders.

We've been using moth balls on board for the past couple of years. They
keep the mud daubers and spiders in check. The mud daubers eat the spiders,
but can scare people. I prefer them to spiders. There are both still
aboard, but far fewer in number.

The moth ball smell hasn't been a problem, so I haven't tried any of the
alternatives but am curious if others have had success with them.
Peppermint oil sounds nice!

Regards,
Stephen
C&C 25 Sweet Chariot