Peter,
We have been remarkably pleased with the performance of our Landfall 35 in our
travels around Buzzards Bay.  6-7kts is fairly common over the ground in a beam
reach at slack tides.  The shortcomings arise when trying to sail tight angles
up wind as the length of the spreaders on the single spreader mast makes tight
sheeting angles quite problematic.  She also starts to side slip at angles
higher than 40-45 degrees. Running dead downwind isn’t desirable either and we
have compromised by using an Assymetric genniker and sailing hotter angles and
gybing more often.
In 12kts of breeze we have seen 8 kts with the main and genniker in flat water.
Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic
1983 Landfall 35
Padanaram, MA