From: Ronald B. Frerker via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 12:55 PM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Ronald B. Frerker <rbfrer...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: C&C 33-II vs 35-II now race course design

The problem is with the handicap numbers.  A triangle course has only  33%
beat, if equilateral.  The more you spread out the offset mark, the less
percentage the beat; the more you pull it in, the higher percentage beat.

For PHRF to work, I believe they recommend at least a 40% beat.  Preferred is a
50% beat like a windward/leeward or a triangle with an extra beat.

On a dead downwind course one should sail their best angle for the wind speed,
not go dead downwind.  That's true even for the white sail fleet.  There was a
great article decades ago about the pole adjusted forward to improve the broad
reach for white sailed boats.  But with my filing system, I'll never be able to
produce it if asked.

Ron

Wild Cheri

C&C 30-1

STL

On Friday, September 10, 2021, 11:31:22 AM CDT, Della Barba, Joe via CnC-List