Bob,

On Touche', we don't try to "bang the corners" or sail long to the
laylines.  Unlike sailing upwind, when flying a chute, you don't lose much
time during a gybe, assuming it's done proficiently.  Unless there's a
compelling reason to sail off to one side of the course to a layline,
you're usually better off gybing early and staying more inside the course.
By sailing way off to one side of the course, you risk losing your
competition if you get an unfavorable wind shift or if you overstand.
Also, your competition on the other side of the course may benefit from a
favorable shift and you'll be hurt more the farther to the side you are.

So, gybe early, stay well inside the course even if it means making an
extra gybe, or two.

And, as Edd said, and others will tell you, for our boats, VMG rules,
particularly downwind.  Maximize VMG and you'll do better.

First, let's define some terms.

VMG (wind based) - the component of your velocity DIRECTLY upwind or
downwind.

WCV - waypoint closure velocity.  The component of your velocity headed
directly at your mark (assuming it's set in your GPS).  This is often shown
on most GPS systems as VMG.

Now, if you don't have an instrument system that calculates VMG, don't use
GPS VMG (WCV).  The problem is that, as you approach the layline, WCV will
tend to zero.  If you overstand and cross the layline, WCV will become
negative.  While this is good information for when to tack or gybe, it's
usually too late.

Here's how to fake your GPS into giving you VMG (wind based).  Set a
waypoint well past the windward mark.  Let's assume the race committee sets
a good W/L course with the windward mark directly upwind of the start.
Let's say the wind is from 000 and the windward mark is set at 000 for a 2
mile leg.  Enter a waypoint in your GPS at 000 20 miles out.  By setting
the waypoint so far out, WCV will approximate VMG.
--
Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83