Thanks, Don, this seems to confirm my findings on our 35-2 - although we
don't race, we often are trying to make some miles on long downwind runs.
While I haven't done too much testing since getting real instruments, it
seems that I can sail deeper downwind as the wind builds and still get a
good VMG. Of course, I am sailing with only a genoa and no pole, so keeping
the sail full is often the limiting factor for downwind angle, but at
20kt + I can often go very deep if the seas are fairly calm. If I expect
20kt+, I will also not bother with the main, as I can get near hull speed
with just the genoa, and we certainly won't be surfing much with a tonne or
two of cruising gear on board...

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com