I don’t think I have described my system before, but perhaps it is relevant
here.  I rarely race in spinnaker class, so use my whisker pole (Forespar
aluminum adjustable) 90% of the time off the wind.  I have a track on the front
of the mast designed for the spinnaker pole and a hoop that the whisker pole
attaches to.  I leave the whisker pole attached to the loop all the time
(except when spinnaker racing), sitting vertically attached to and in front of
the mast.   When I want to deploy the pole, I raise the track car with the
endless adjusting line, move the pole end out of the mast base and lay it
forward on the deck.  Then I attach the forward end to the jib sheet, extend
the pole and trim the genoa sheet.  Very quick and easy and I never have to
worry about dropping the pole or needing a place to store it.  Sometimes I
attach the topping lift, often not, depending on the wind strength and
direction.  When done, I detach the genoa, bring the pole back to minimum
length, raise the track so the pole is vertical, position the other end in the
mast base well and drop the track so the pole end nestles into the mast base.
It has never come out on its own. I find that having the pole always in place
on the mast and only having to attach one end works very well for me.  Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT