I can’t believe you don’t have a topping lift – right around your upper
spreader? Take a look with some binoculars.

Bill Coleman

Entrada, Erie, PA

From: Bruce Whitmore via CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2021 5:18 PM
To: Stus-List
Cc: Bruce Whitmore
Subject: Stus-List Re: Whisker pole with a 37/40+?

Thanks everyone for the insights.  I had a feeling that using the ring I showed
was a bad idea, but I had to ask.  Now another related question - What do you
use for a topping lift on the pole?  We have a main halyard, jib/genoa halyard
and two spinnaker halyards on the boat.  How would one rig the topping lift for
the whisker pole?

As to the reason why I am considering this, down here in Tampa, most of our
days result in 10 kts. of wind or less, and I keep the 150% Genoa on the roller
furler year round.  We only occasionally have to reef the main and/or roll up
the Genny because we're overpowered.  So, there are days I want to fly a large
asymmetrical instead, but I commonly find myself wanting it poled out for
better performance.

I'm not a racer and more often than not daysail, though we want to cruise up &
down the coast of Florida more over the next few years.

Thoughts?

Bruce Whitmore

1994 C&C 37/40+ "Astralis"

Madeira Beach, FL