Bruce,

You really want to rethink this whole topic before doing anything.  I have the
same boat (“Impromptu” C&C 38MKIIC build in the Bruckman shop) that Rick has
only hull #125.  It also came with lots of sail handling gear like the dual
bayonet track car, and the dual bayonet spinnaker poles and the reaching strut
as well.  All of that has been shelved like Rick’s and in today’s view this
gear is likely obsolete.  I’ve removed all of those deck winches and pole
devices and now only use a carbon fiber whisker pole that mounts inboard to the
sliding track car with a loop.  The pole mounts into stanchion mounts on the
port side of the foredeck when not being used.  Being carbon fiber, it can be
handled on deck with minimal crew.

All of the previous comments amount to a consensus that you do not want to use
that ring under the gooseneck………..and that you do not want to underestimate the
loads on the pole or mast when using any spinnaker system.  Things happen fast
and are usually bad.

We race Impromptu almost exclusively………..I just donated the original spinnakers
to Sea Bags, and we only use 1 ASYM as the off wind sail other than our #1
genoa.  We NEVER use the pole with the ASYM.  The pole is only useful on light
wind days with the #1 to keep the sail out and not drooping.

An interesting rating perspective…………..here in NE, if you do not declare a
spinnaker pole, you are credited with 9 seconds.  If we race PHRF, our cruising
rating is 132……..our racing rating is 129……it almost NEVER makes sense to go
“Racing” the 3 seconds difference never makes the general confusion and sail
handling circus worthwhile.

We have recently gone to the ORR-EZ rating system which does not take into
account poles, etc.  However, the same issue results.  Our rating with a
spinnaker of any kind means that I have to give e.g. a very fast “tricked out”
Islander 36, more than 15-20 seconds per mile…………when we convert the TOT to
TOD.  Our Cruising rating almost equals his racing rating………which he always
uses………..

We’re just getting too old to deal with the skill levels of handling any
spinnaker.

So, think about what you intend to do with the boat.  And how good your “able”
crew is in race situations…………

As a base reference, Impromptu races (successfully) with 2 Pontos (now Karver)
4 speed winches, and 2 Barient roof top winches for halyards and spinnaker
sheets.  NO babystay, and a clean foredeck. 1 whisker pole (that gets used less
than 4-5 times per season). A sail selection of a full batten main and 3
foresails, 155%, 135% and 110%, and 6 crew, average age in the mid 70’s.

If you take the racing situation out of the project, handling any spinnaker in
any cruising plan still has the earlier and above issues.

Keep safety of you and your crew as a priority…………

Have Fun,

Ron Casciato